Immigrate to Luxembourg - Support from Our Lawyer
Immigrate to LuxembourgUpdated on Friday 06th May 2022
Rate this article
based on 1 reviews.
based on 1 reviews.
Foreign citizens who want to immigrate to Luxembourg must complete various formalities depending on their countries of origin. These are less stringent for EU citizens and lengthier for non-EU nationals who want to move to Luxembourg.
Below, our immigration lawyer in Luxembourg explain the main conditions related to relocating to the Grand Duchy. You can rely on us no matter if you are an EU or non-EU citizen, as all our services are tailored to your needs.
Luxembourg migration regulations
Luxembourg's immigration process implies respecting the Nationality Law which prescribes the types of visas foreign citizens need to enter the country and the permits enabling them to live here.
In terms of visas, here are the main options for those who want to relocate to Luxembourg for definite periods:
- short-term visas;
- long-term visas.
The last option enables an applicant to later qualify for permanent residency and citizenship in Luxembourg.
If you are interested in starting the relocation procedure, you can get in touch with our immigration lawyer in Luxembourg.
Foreign citizens can also apply for Schengen visas for Luxembourg which take from 15 to 60 days to be issued, depending on various factors. If you want to immigrate to Luxembourg from a non-EU country, we advise considering that you may need to apply for such a visa, thus calculate your departure in accordance.
Obtaining residency in Luxembourg
In Luxembourg, the immigration process is not lengthy if all the requirements are met, and once moved here, the applicant can enjoy various benefits. In order to obtain them, however, one must secure a residence permit.
If EU citizens only need residence certificates that are issued by the nearest local authorities of their addresses (places to stay), non-EU citizens must consider applying for residence permits.
Here are the main reasons under which non-EU citizens can obtain Luxembourg residence permits:
- employment which is one of the most common ways to immigrate to Luxembourg;
- studentship also implies obtaining temporary residency in Luxembourg;
- investment which is a great way to move to Luxembourg and run a business here;
- retirement is also an option for those desiring a peaceful lifestyle.
We mention the fact that obtaining a temporary residence permit can take up to 3 months, so feel free to discuss all related aspects to our law firm in Luxembourg. We can also advise on other Luxembourg migration regulations.
Documents required to move to Luxembourg
If you are planning to immigrate to Luxembourg, here are the main documents to prepare and file with the embassy or consulate in your home country:
- the valid passport (at least 6 months of validity is required);
- a health certificate is also needed for non-EU citizens (it depends on the country of origin of the applicant);
- a clean criminal record may also be needed (especially for those coming based on investment visas);
- reason of relocation (employment contract, sponsorship from an educational institution, pension coupon, etc.)
- proof of having a place to stay (rental agreement, lease contract, proof of property ownership).
In the case of EU citizens, the proof of address will be used to obtain the residency certificate.
If you decide to move to Luxembourg, get in touch with our specialists for support in applying for the desired residence permit. Our immigration lawyer in Luxembourg can also help you obtain permanent residence here.
Foreign citizens living in Luxembourg
According to recent statistics presented by Statista.com:
- in 2021, nearly 300,000 foreigners resided in Luxembourg;
- most of them, approximately 95,000 came from Portugal;
- the second largest community of foreigners, nearly 48,500 are French.
If you want to immigrate to Luxembourg and need support, please contact our local law firm.