Visa in Luxembourg for High-net-worth Individuals - Guide for Investors
Visa in Luxembourg for High-net-worth IndividualsUpdated on Monday 23rd October 2023
Rate this article
based on 1 reviews.
based on 1 reviews.
Investors from countries outside the European Union can apply for a special visa for high net worth individuals (HNWI) if they want to immigrate to Luxembourg. This is a residence permit that can be obtained by those who want to live in the Grand Duchy for more than 3 months.
Below, our lawyers in Luxembourg explain all the conditions associated with it and the procedure to obtain it. You can rely on us for support with the application.
A 2-step procedure to obtain the Luxembourg visa for high net worth individuals
Obtaining the HNWI visa in Luxembourg is not difficult, however, one need to respect a 2-step procedure:
- step 1 – applying for the entry visa and temporary stay authorization;
- step 2 – filing for a residence permit.
The first stage needs to be completed with the Immigration Directorate which is part of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs as the program address third-country entrepreneurs. For this step, the applicant must have a valid passport in order to be issued the entry and temporary stay visas.
The second step implies meeting specific requirements to qualify for a type D visa for Luxembourg and obtain authorization from the Ministries of Finance or Economy.
After entering Luxembourg, the applicant must:
- file for the HNWI visa;
- undergo a medical exam;
- submit an entry declaration with the local municipality within maximum 3 days.
If you need support in immigration to Luxembourg under the HNWI visa, you can rely on our local law firm. We are also at your disposal with business registration solutions, as this type of residence permit comes with the requirement to make an investment.
Investment options under the Luxembourg HNWI visa
The visa for high net worth individuals in Luxembourg resembles golden visa programs in other countries around the world, as it is issued only to those intending to invest. From this point of view, the main options are:
- a minimum investment of EUR 500,000 in a Luxembourg company with the condition of maintaining the investment for a period of at least 5 years:
- a minimum investment of at least EUR 500,000 in a new company in which the owner will create at least 5 jobs within 3 years of the incorporation;
- at least EUR 3 million in an investment fund and management company in which the owner must secure the necessary substance (capital), as established by the Financial Supervisory Authority;
- at least EUR 20 million under the form of a deposit in a bank account set up in Luxembourg with the condition for the investment to be maintained for a minimum period of 5 years.
As mentioned above, these investments must be approved by specific ministries, as follows:
- the minimum investment requirement of EUR 500,000 must be sanctioned by the Ministry of Economy;
- the EUR 3 million and EUR 20 million must be approved by the Ministry of Finance.
Feel free to address our Luxembourg lawyers for support in drafting the documents related to the type of investment you plan on making to secure a high net worth individual visa.
How long does it take to obtain a high net worth individual visa?
Luxembourg authorities are quite fast when it comes to issuing residence permits, including HNWI visas. The Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs usually replies in 3 months. Any time exceeding this period is considered a rejection. This is why, if you want to avoid such an outcome, you can rely on our lawyers who can assist during the application process.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you want to apply for a high net worth individual visa for Luxembourg followed by a permanent residence permit and even citizenship when meeting the requirements.